An introduction to Wuhan University
Wuhan University originates from the Ziqiang Institute, which was founded in 1893 by Zhang Zhidong, the governor of Hubei and Hunan Provinces in the later part of the Qing Dynasty after approval by the Qing Government.
Later, its name was changed several times before it was eventually named National Wuhan University in 1928, and one of the first national comprehensive universities in China. By the end of 1946, the university had six schools, of liberal arts, law, sciences, engineering, agriculture and medicine. On the 2nd August 2000, Wuhan University merged with Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electrical Engineering, Wuhan Technical University of Surveying and Mapping and Hubei Medical University, becoming an institution of higher education comprehensively covering the subjects, with plentiful teaching resources, and a beautiful educational environment, enjoying extensive influence at home and abroad.
Construction and development for over a hundred years have laid firm foundations and brought an outstanding academic reputation to Wuhan University. “Seeking knowledge in Wuhan University and becoming well-educated in Luojia”, Wuhan University has an excellent university ethos and study philosophy: "Improve oneself, promote perseverance, seek truth and innovate" and is the academic sanctuary assiduously pursued by students.